“The Holy Bible” is a selection of books written by different authors, taken from HEBREW SCRIPTURES. This blog is a practical summary of what the authors of these books thought of this world; – from its Creation to its End.
First of all, please understand that Hebrew and Greek are VERY different languages to English. The Holy Bible we read in the Western world was translated from these 2 languages. If English is your primary language, you are likely to be quite rigid in your comprehension and application of words, and thus – you are faced with many translation errors when reading these ancient Scriptures. For example – a Hebrew word can have several different meanings dependant on the context and position within a sentence… In Greek, where the words; ‘eros’, ‘phileo’, ‘storge’ and ‘agape’ all have distinctly different meanings; – the English of the Bible translates all 4 words as, ‘love’.
My paradigm, cosmology and world-view is formed largely from what the Hebrew Israelite people wrote many, many years ago…
The Elohim (or God) of the Hebrew Israelites named “YHWH” or Yehovah, (the Creator of all things) created the earth. It was once formless and void but YHWH changed all that.
He created a man we call ‘Adam’ and a woman we call ‘Eve’. These were images of YHWH Himself. NO OTHER CREATURE bore YHWH’s image. These two human beings were the walking, talking, living embodiments of YHWH’s glory. Let us remember what an ‘image’ does… An image glorifies that which it is ‘imaging’. Think of statues, paintings etc; – they are not the real thing but they seek to represent and/or embellish the things that they reflect.
YHWH made a garden called EDEN. This was a special location on the earth in which He placed Adam and his wife to live. It was a kind-of “Crossover Space” between “YHWH’s Space” (Heaven) and “Man’s Space” (earth). It was what we would call “heaven on earth”.
This “Crossover Space” was the ORIGINAL PLAN for mankind… God & man dwelling in the same space forever. If you are a “Holy Bible” reader you will find this “Crossover Space” or ‘Heaven’ at the beginning of the narrative in Genesis and also at the end of the Biblical narrative in Revelation.
EVERYTHING that happens in the Bible after the fall of man, documents YHWH attempting to restore this dual existence with mankind; – and Satan (or “the Adversary”) trying to stop this from happening by many (and any) means necessary.
YHWH is perfect. Our minds as humans are so far away from perfection that we cannot even imagine what ‘perfect’ actually is. YHWH chooses to dwell (reside and live) in perfect places only.
A cunning, crafty creature called the serpent tested the faith of Adam’s wife (later named Eve). The serpent led her to doubt the words and instructions of YHWH and she sinned. She – in turn led her husband Adam, to also sin. Adam and Eve disobeyed YHWH by eating the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. They had not had any children at this point. They were banished from this “Crossover Space” into the wider earth, which was a considerably rougher terrain – now cursed to make their job of tending to it, subduing it, eating from it and sustaining their lives a hard task.
Everything (literally EVERYTHING) that we read about in Hebrew Scripture (or see in life) from there on in, is an on-going attempt by YHWH to restore ‘heaven on earth’; along with continuous attempts by the Adversary (or Satan, or Opposer) to disrupt this plan from taking place.
In A Nutshell:
- A band of angels named the Watchers went beyond their station and fathered hybrid children (Nephilim) with human women. This created a bloodthirsty war between the different classes of these creatures and mankind got caught in the crossfire. These Watchers taught mankind (and their Nephilim hybrid sons) things about the earth and stars that they were not instructed to tell them. These were things like the understanding of herbs and their uses, the art of seduction and make-up, how to extract metal from the earth and forge weaponry, how to read signs in the stars and worship them and much more… The earth was full of bloodshed and all manner of sin and disorder. This era is known in the Bible as ‘the days of Noah’.
- YHWH regrets that He created mankind and is disgusted by their sinful ways. He decided to flood the earth, saving only 8 human beings. This served as a ‘soft reset’ but did not reinstate the “Crossover Space”. It did not bring heaven to earth. Soon enough – sin was back on earth, this time with the aid of the now disembodied spirits of the Nephilim who are tormented, longing for bodies in which to walk and dominate the earth again. These are described in Scripture as ‘evil spirits’ or ‘demons’.
- YHWH makes a promise to a man named Abram (later renamed Abraham). Abram has great faith and he follows YHWH’s instructions, taking Him at His word. YHWH promises to restore the earth by using Abram’s family/bloodline. He promises him that he will have more descendants than he is able to count in the night sky.
IT IS ABRAHAM’S FAMILY (Hebrew Israelites) THAT WRITE THE SCRIPTURES FROM WHICH WE GET – “THE HOLY BIBLE”.
- These Hebrew Israelites kept an account of their lives. After their enslavement in Egypt, they went into a direct Covenant with YHWH. This is found in Exodus 20-24 and it’s where you will see the 10 Commandments. This was another MAJOR attempt by YHWH to bring about the “Crossover Space” or ‘heaven on earth’ through the Israelites. They were to be a ‘royal-priesthood’. They were to be a peculiar nation, set-apart from the rest of the peoples of the earth. They were to rule in righteousness and be a beacon of hope, wisdom and goodness for all to see. They were meant to be ambassadors of YHWH. They would have truly glorified their God – just as any good ‘image’ does; – but alas, they sinned repeatedly and continuously.
- The Israelites could not keep their end of the Covenant. They broke it time and time again despite YHWH putting in contingencies like Sacrificial Laws, sin offerings and Atonement festivals. They were enslaved time and time again as a result throughout history and to this day – still suffer under the curses prescribed for their disobedience in DEUTERONOMY 28.
- Prophecy is a MASSIVE-yet-understated part of Hebrew Scripture. It was prophesied by several writers of their books; that one day – the New Covenant would replace the Covenant they went into at Mount Sinai. One such reference is in JEREMIAH 31:31-34.
- A Messiah was prophesied to come and do the mighty work of saving His people from death and the grave due to the hopeless situation that they were in because of their rebelliousness. He would replace the Old Covenant with a New One. This Covenant would be open to ALL nations; – no longer would Israel have exclusive rights to YHWH.
This Saviour was Yeshua Hammashiach aka JESUS the ‘Christ’.
The book of HEBREWS does an excellent job of explaining exactly what Yeshua did and why He had to do it. On the run up to Yeshua’s execution/Sacrifice – He taught His disciples how to pray – starting the prayer with the same sentiment that John ends the book of Revelation with in chapter 21 –
“…Thy kingdom COME, Thy will be done ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN…”
The ultimate “Crossover Space” comes down out of “YHWH’s Space” in REVELATION 21. John calls it New Jerusalem. Before this, we see glimpses of these spaces throughout Scripture – they are usually called ‘the tabernacle’, ‘the sanctuary’, ‘the tent of meeting’ or the temple. It is in these spaces that both YHWH and mankind coexist – briefly.
This is why the metaphor of our bodies being the temple of YHWH would have been quite startling and avante garde for Yeshua’s Jewish audience. The tabernacle or temple was a holy place that only a priest could enter. Only the highest priest on duty could enter the ‘Most Holy Place’ and live; – even then, the priest’s life depended on his ceremonial cleanliness.
Yeshua turned this doctrine on its head by tearing the veil of the temple/sanctuary (this separates the holy from the ‘Most-Holy’ place) – allowing anyone other than priests to approach the ‘Mercy Seat’ (throne of YHWH)… Also – by saying that the temple is now within us and that YHWH is to reside inside of each of us; – this put the responsibility on each individual to ensure that their hearts were pure and clean – fitting for YHWH to descend down into.
To conclude – we have a few things yet to happen in terms of the narrative according to the Hebrews. REMEMBER – YHWH’s end-game is to restore that “Crossover Space” down here on earth.
FORGET the old notion of us flying away into ‘Heaven’ to live with God forever. Hebrew Scripture does not say that.
We are human beings…
According to Scripture – YHWH created a special place just for us!
He called it ‘earth’.
ONLY. ONE. MIIKZ.